it was all smiles at the breakfast table. berries, vanilla yogurt & fresh sourdough – wouldn’t that make you happy, too? :)
french toast was the name of the game for weekend brunch. the taste & texture of sourdough bread is perfect for french toast — soaking up the egg and complementing the flavourful toppings. i love the locally-made, artisan sourdough from sidewalk citizen bakery. there’s something really comforting about aviv’s artisan bread. pair that with some lovely greek yogurt and fresh berries and you’ve got some pretty stellar ingredients for a delish french toast!
prep the toast:
- whisk 2 small eggs w/ ground cinnamon in prep bowl
- soak 2 thick slices of artisan sourdough bread (on both sides, until egg mixture is absorbed into bread)
- 2 tbsp strawberry greek yogurt (sandwiched in between toasted sourdough slices)
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries (hulled & sliced, sandwiched in between, reserve some strawberries for garnish)
- melt 2 tsp of unsalted butter in large saucepan
- add sourdough slices to pan for 1-2 min on each side, or until egg-soaked bread is toasted golden brown.
(tip: if you have any leftover egg mixture in the prep bowl, feel free to pour it over the bread in pan at start of cooking.)
- double ingredient quantities above for 2 servings