In breakfast, brekkie, brunch, dinner, easy weeknight meals, leftovers, lunch on 01.17.12 at 6:48 pm
sandwiches don’t have to be boring. this honey ham & grilled cheese sammy just oozes with flavour and personality. the perfect (non-boring) companion for a tall glass of milk. yummers.
and what’s even better is that it’s a simple recipe for leftover redux. still not sure what to do that leftover ham from the holidays that’s still sitting in your freezer? check this out…
prep the ingredients:
- defrost slices of leftover honey ham
- cut a few slices of appenzeller cheese (gouda or gruyere would melt well, too.)
- cut thick slices of wholewheat sourdough bread
i love the locally-made, artisan sourdough from sidewalk citizen bakery. there’s something really comforting about aviv’s artisan bread — perfect for grilled cheese sammies!
grillin’ the sammy:
- melt 1.5 tbsp unsalted butter in pan on medium heat
- on the inside of the sourdough slices, spread horseradish dijon mustard on each slice
- place slices of appenzeller cheese on inside of each slice
- pile on the sliced honey ham on one of the sourdough slices
- lightly drizzle honey on the ham
- sandwich together the slices of sourdough
- press sandwiches firmly w/ kitchen spatula
- grill in pan on medium heat for 2-3min (flip sides) until toasted brown & cheese is melted
- remove from heat & set aside to cool slightly
Read the rest of this entry »
In breakfast, brekkie, brunch, culinary experiments on 10.10.11 at 2:54 pm
pumpkins & spice, and everything nice… happy thanksgiving, everyone!
today is a special holiday in canada — thanksgiving day — when we gather together to give thanks, and share good times and good food with family and friends. i’m so thankful for all the wonderful people and experiences in my life. and one of things that i’m thankful for this year is my newfound love of cooking! so i’d like to thank my fellow foodie bloggers out there who inspire me everyday to continue on my culinary adventures. special thanks to caroline at sweet caroline’s cooking for the shoutout with the versatile blogger’s award. :)
here are some of my fave reads for foodie inspiration… i’ll keep updating my blogroll, as i stumble upon more fantastic reads in the foodie blogosphere. happy reading!
the latest foodie inspiration has me jumping on the pumpkin bandwagon along with fellow bloggers caroline & greg… cheers and enjoy some delish pumpkin pancakes! gobble, gobble! :)
for thanksgiving brunch today, mom made some fantastic pumpkin pancakes. here’s the simple recipe, adapted from a save-on-foods grocery flyer.
the pumpkin batter:
combine the following ingredients in a large prep bowl:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (for a healthier alternative, you can substitute 1 cup for whole-wheat flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp organic cane sugar
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
Read the rest of this entry »
In breakfast, brekkie, brunch, culinary experiments, desserts, snacks, sweet treats, vegetarian on 07.29.11 at 8:54 am
sometimes the best things are so simple. dessert-for-breakfast to kickstart your day with something sweet? oh yes.
inspired by a previous yumyumyummers brekkie parfait, this is a simpler version using fresh pomegranate seeds — a new ingredient in my kitchen. what a perfect pre-workout snack, along with a fruit smoothie, before my spin+yoga class this morning.
the parfait goodies:
- 2 tsp fresh pomegranate seeds
- 2.5 tbsp low-fat cottage cheese
- in a small teacup, start layering the parfait by adding a dollop of low-fat cottage cheese at the bottom
- add a layer of fresh pomegranate seeds
- continue alternating layers of cottage cheese & pomegranate seeds
- top w/ a small dollop cottage cheese & pomegranate seeds
- double ingredient quantities & repeat food styling for 2 servings
hooray for dessert-for-breakfast! pretty easy, huh? :)