i’m not really one for dares. but a culinary challenge? count me in! perhaps it’s the competitive foodie in me. ;)
so i got a special request from two yumyumyummers readers — an ask for microwave-friendly recipes. while you might shudder at the idea of a microwave dinner (gasp!), sometimes convenience is the name of the game. in this case, the reason for the microwave-friendly recipe request is that the couple’s kitchen stove and oven are currently out-of-order (gasp!). so i thought i’d dig into the yumyumyummers archives and find some recipes that can easily be adapted for microwave cooking.
the result: two gluten-free ways to dish up spaghetti squash for dindins or lunch. using a microwave. true story.
and even better… spaghetti squash is a fantastic gluten-free substitute for traditional noodles and pasta. faux noodles. fake pasta. call it what you want; it’s pretty delish.
spring bacon spaghetti squash
sundried tomato spaghetti squash
note: below please see the microwave-friendly modifications for these recipes.
the spaghetti squash:
- gently wash spaghetti squash since you’ll be cooking it with the rind
- cut spaghetti squash in half, along the vertical. gently scrape pulp and seeds using a fork.
- gently brush the squash w/ extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle w/ ground black peppercorns
- place squash halves in a microwave-safe dish (squash side down) with 1/2 cup of water and microwave squash for approx 12-15min
- allow to cool before handling. using a fork, the squash should ‘string’ out nicely just like spaghetti noodles. true story. :)
(tip: cooking time varies depending on your microwave. if the spaghetti squash is still firm to the rind and doesn’t easily ‘string’ out like spaghetti noodles, you’ll need to adjust the cooking time accordingly.)
- evenly place 5 strips of country-style bacon on a microwave-safe dish
- cook bacon strips in microwave until bacon is slightly crispy on both sides (follow the microwave-cooking instructions for the bacon from the producer)
- remove dish from microwave & set aside to cool before handling the bacon
- pat bacon using papertowels to remove excess fat & oil before cutting the bacon into bacon bits
yummers. :) hope you enjoy the faux pasta — er, spaghetti squash!