happiness. i think i just found my new go-to salad.
so i’m still on my salad kick for the new year… and in the spirit of culinary experiments, i figured i’d try introducing a new healthy ingredient to my kitchen. <drumroll, please…> beans! <toot, toot!> ok, so that’s not the sound of a drumroll, but you get my point. haha! beans are a great source of protein and fibre, though i’ll admit they aren’t a pantry staple in my kitchen. other than the occasional slowcooker chili, i haven’t really ventured into the land of cooking with beans. but, as they say, in with the new year…
here’s an easypeasy salad featuring a hearty bean medley — awesome as a fab side or a main dish. it’s inspired by (and adapted from) a recipe from my fave cooking show on the telly – cbc’s best recipes ever (thanks, kary osmond!).
- bring to a boil: 1 cup (250mL) organic quinoa & 2 cups water in a small pot (no cover)
- then reduce to simmer, cover pot and cook until the water is absorbed into the grains (approx 10-12 min). it’s ready when the grain is translucent.
- allow to cool, then fluff with a fork
in a large bowl, whisk together the following ingredients:
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp organic apple cider vinegar
- pinch of sea salt
- season w/ ground black peppercorns
in the same bowl as the dressing, toss together the following ingredients until well combined with the dressing:
- 1 large can (approx 500mL) bean medley (drained, medley includes red kidney beans, romano beans, chickpeas & black-eyed peas)
- 1 cup organic quinoa (cooked)
- 1 haas avocado (pitted, halved, sliced)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (pitted & thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup fresh organic cilantro (stems removed, finely chopped)
- season w/ 1 tsp ancho chile powder (divided)
adapted from best recipes ever
- dish up and serve immediately
- also serves well chilled, or packs nicely as a healthy lunch for the next day! <toot-toot!>