turkey foodcoma? figuring out what to do with all that leftover turkey from thanksgiving dindins? here’s an easypeasy slowcooker recipe that will have you coming back for yet another helping of turkey! it’s that good. :)
add some pantry basics and some fresh produce to the turkey leftovers, and you’ve got all the ingredients you need to cook up a hearty turkey & split pea soup. yummers.
slowcook the soup:
add the following ingredients into a medium slowcooker and stir to combine well.
simmer on high heat in the slowcooker for approx 4-4.5 hours.
- 1 large can (approx 800mL) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup organic baby potatoes (rough chop)
- 1.5 cups organic baby carrots
- leftover turkey meat (with bones)
- 3-4 cups water (divided)
- 1/2 cup fresh italian parsley (finely chopped)
- sprinkle 1 tsp quatre épices (spice blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves & black pepper)
- dash of sea salt
- season w/ ground black peppercorns
- splash of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp organic apple cider vinegar
at the 3.5 or 4-hour mark, add the following ingredients:
- 1/2 cup organic yellow split peas
note: recommend not leaving the slowcooker unattended. you will need to stir ingredients occasionally and lift the slowcooker lid slightly to release steam occasionally during the slowcooking process, so it’s best to stay nearby. be sure to follow the safety instructional manual that came with your particular model of slowcooker.
- dish up in a large soup bowl & dig in! :)
- this turkey & split pea soup pairs nicely with some thin slices of artisan bread (just like a beef dip). think: fresh warm sourdough. yummers.