montreal steak spice isn’t just for steak anymore. c’est vrai. true story.
on my recent travels to quebec, i picked up some montreal steak spice from spice station, a little shop for local foodies in the charming neighbourhood of mile end. montreal steak spice is a blend of pepper, salt, coriander, dill, mustard seeds, dehydrated garlic and onions, red pepper flakes, rosemary, thyme, paprika and caraway seeds. montreal steak spice is typically used as a rub for steaks… i thought it would make for a fantastic culinary experiment with pork chops. it did indeed.
- heat up 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (evoo) in large saucepan on high heat
- brown 1/2 white onion (peeled, rough chop) in pan
- add 5-6 pork centre loin chops to pan
- season both sides of pork chops w/ 2 tsp montreal steak spice
- drizzle 1 tbsp organic apple cider vinegar
- add a dash of sea salt
- add a splash of dry white wine (i used pinot gris.)
- cook pork chops for a few min on both sides until almost cooked evenly through
- remove pork chops from pan and leave onions in pan
the fennel will take approx 30-35min for prep/cooking time, so best to start the fennel before starting the pork chops. check out the previous yumyumyummers recipe for roasted fennel. easypeasy recipe and a fantastic (no-carb) side dish with pork chops.
- reduce heat to medium. add 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (evoo) to the same saucepan you used to cook the pork chops.
- add 1/2 white onion (peeled, rough chop) to the leftover onions in the pan
- add 3 cups large white mushrooms (sliced) to pan
- sauté mushrooms for a few minutes until they start to brown
- add 1.5 cups organic plain greek yogurt (divided) to mushrooms in pan
- add 1/2 cup water to pan
- sprinkle 1 tsp montreal steak spice
- stir often & simmer mushrooms (uncovered) for a few min until yogurt blends into a cream sauce
- add prepared pork chops back into the pan
- simmer on medium heat (covered) with the mushroom sauce for a few min until pork chops are reheated
- plate 2 small pieces of montreal spiced pork chops
- top w/ mushrooms & cream sauce
- add a generous portion of roasted fennel on the side
- pairs nicely w/ your fave red vino