i guess that’s the way the [chipotle tofu & chickpea cake] crumbles.
so i had grand plans of making homemade veggie-cakes, after a little culinary inspiration during a lunchtime convo at the office today. think: crabcake, minus the crab, plus tofu & chickpeas. good in theory; a bit of a scramble in practice.
chipotle tofu & chickpea mixture:
mix the following ingredients together in a large prep bowl until well combined:
- 1/2 can organic chickpeas (drained)
- organic raw tofu (diced)
- 2 medium eggs (whisked)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (evoo)
- 1 tsp chipotle blend (combo of spices incl chipotle powder, ground paprika, cumin, coriander, granulated onion, garlic powder)
- 1/4 cup peppadew peppers (diced)
- 1/8 cup red peppers (diced)
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (crushed in mortar & pestle)
- heat up 1 tbsp unsalted butter in a large saucepan (note: i ran out of evoo, so i substituted the evoo w/ butter.)
- add 2 medium mounds of the tofu & chickpea mixture and flatten to form patties in pan
so this is where the veggie-cakes went awry…
when i tried to flip the cakes like you would typically flip a burger on a grill, the tofu & chickpeas crumbled into one big mess in the pan. i figured i’d embrace the moment and just go with it.
bye bye, veggie-cakes. hello, chipotle tofu & chickpea salad. :)
- plate a bed of fresh organic arugula
- add chipotle tofu & chickpea stirfry over arugula
- top w/ 2-3 red bell peppers (sliced)
- garnish w/ cayenne peppercorn gouda (grated)
- pairs well w/ ginger ale