halo halo = mix mix. this popular filipino frozen dessert is the perfect icy treat for an impromptu kitchen party. and that’s exactly what we did recently on a hot summer weekend with the family. i scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream? after this, you’ll all scream for halo halo. :)
- plenty of shaved ice
- chickpeas (garbanzo)
- jackfruit (langka)
- coconut gel
- purple yam (ube)
- sweet beans
- 1 can evaporated milk
(tip: mix it up. there are many different combos of flavours that you can experiment with for halo halo. leche flan, plantains, tapioca, ice cream… be creative.)
mix it up:
- similar to a parfait, halo halo is all about the colourful layers. add a little bit of each sweet fruit ingredient to the bottom of each tall glass.
- add shaved ice, and then top with purple yam and some of your fave toppings
(tip: this is a great dessert for a dinner party or family bbq. let your guests make their own halo halo, so they can choose which ingredients they want to include in their glass.)
- generously drizzle evaporated milk on top of the ice & fruit
- insert a tablespoon in each glass and it’s ready to serve!
- to eat and enjoy halo halo, stir the ingredients well in your glass to get a good fruity mix in every bite.
quick — eat it now before it all melts! :)