one word: veggie-licious!
and so the fascination with yellow zucchini continues… this time around, i thought i’d create my version of stuffed zucchini, inspired by fellow foodie blogger our life in food.
- preheat oven to 375F
- 1 organic yellow zucchini (sliced lengthwise in half)
- use a teaspoon to scoop out the seeded content of the zucchini halves, creating a boat-shaped form for each half.
- rough chop the seeded content removed from the zucchini. set aside.
- bring to a boil: 1 cup (250mL) organic quinoa & 2 cups water in a small pot (no cover)
- then reduce to simmer, cover pot and cook until the water is absorbed into the grains (approx 10-12 min). it’s ready when the grain is translucent.
- allow to cool, then fluff w/ a fork. set aside.
veggie quinoa stuffing:
combine the following ingredients in prep bowl:
- 1 yellow tomato (diced)
- 1/2 red tomato (diced)
- 3 fresh organic radishes (thinly sliced, cut into halves)
- dash of salt
- 3 tbsp fresh italian parsley (finely chopped)
- seeded content from zucchini halves (rough chop)
- 1 cup organic quinoa (cooked)
- 2 tbsp light creamcheese (at room temperature)
- 1/4 cup light mozzarella cheese (grated). reserve a small portion of grated mozzarella for topping
- season w/ ground black peppercorns to taste
- fold ingredients until combined well
heaping bowls of organic goodness:
- generously stuff zucchini halves w/ veggie quinoa
- sprinkle grated mozzarella for melted topping
- bake for 12-15min at 375F until cheese is melted and zucchini is semi-softened
- serve quinoa-stuffed zucchini w/ organic mixed greens & honey dijon creamy dressing (or your fave salad dressing)
- season w/ ground black peppercorns
- pairs nicely with a crisp white wine
- perk up leftover quinoa stuffing w/ bell peppers… check out the previous yumyumyummers recipe for quinoa pepper sushi rolls