a friendly visit to the local farmers’ market is one of my fave things to do on the weekend. not only is it a chance to stock up on lovely organic produce for the week, but it’s also the perfect opportunity to hunt down new ingredients for some culinary experiments yet to be determined. fun!
organic yellow zucchini. fresh radishes. ricotta cheese. three ingredients new to my kitchen. holla! let’s see how this pans out…
- preheat oven to 375F
- 1/2 organic yellow zucchini (sliced rounds)
- 2 cups fresh radishes (thinly sliced rounds)
- toss well in large prep bowl w/ extra-virgin olive oil (evoo), ground black peppercorns and a dash of salt
- lightly grease medium baking pan w/ evoo
- add layer of 1/2 radish-zucchini mixture on bottom of pan
- season w/ ground black peppercorns
- add layer of low-sodium, low-fat ricotta cheese (425g), spread evenly across veggies
(tip: in the spirit of culinary experiments, i did learn a thing or two about ricotta cheese… when baking with ricotta, it’s a good idea to remove any excess water or moisture before adding it to the pan. i would recommend straining any excess moisture from the ricotta by using a cheesecloth, sieve or mesh strainer… unless you’re aiming to have a pool of water sitting idly at the bottom of your baked casserole!)
(tip: one more thing about ricotta… it typically doesn’t have a lot of flavour on its own — well, at least this particular ricotta. perhaps it was the low-sodium? anyways, next time, i think i’ll try adding some balsamic vinegar to the ricotta for a little pizzazz.)
- bake for 30-35min at 375F
- remove from oven and allow to set on cooling rack
- serve as a side dish or appetizer in small ramekins
- or, the roasted ricotta & veggies also work well as leftover redux topping with your favorite pasta!